Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I - Indian Theme

Just as a disclaimer: we might have done some things that are stereotypical but they are not meant to be offensive in any way. We have many natives here in Arizona and we respect their culture and heritage. This month is actually the "Native American History Month." I thought it appropraite to talk about this especially with Thanksgiving coming up.

Reading Time
This First Thanksgiving by Laura Krauss Melmed
Thanksgiving Rules by Laurie Friedman
Suanto's Journey by Joseph Bruchac
10 Fat Turkey's by Tony Johnston
One little, Two little, Three little Pilgrims by Hennessy
Squanto, A Warrior's Tale by Fontes & Korman
(I think that I did a couple of more general books but I must not have written them down.)

Music Time
Rain Dance. We actually did a variation of this by tapping our fingers, then patting the ground, then clapping loud for thunder. It is suppose to sound like rain. We dance around for minute too.

Arts / Craft Time
Headdresses.


(Are they so cute? or what?)

I - Indian. Again I am not sure I like the way this turned out but it works I guess.


Dream Catcher.


Pottery? We used just a simple salt dough. The girls had so much fun with this. We tried to inprint native symbols into it. This one means friendship.



Social Science Time
We talked about the customs, housing, work, etc. of native americans. We gave the girls names like giggling stream and running wind.


Snack Time
Indian Fry Bread and Corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment