Tuesday, October 6, 2009

E - Earth / Environment Theme Lesson Plan

Rug Time
Calendar
Introduction of Theme
Reading Time
Our Park by Mercer Mayer
Outside / Character Building
Picking up Trash. We went for a short walk and cleaned up any trash that we found. It was interesting what they thought was trash. They wanted to pick up sticks and feathers and weeds. But they almost were racing to find the trash. It was really cute. My roommate from long ago was such an example of picking up trash that you pass. I am not sure if she even remembers teaching that to me. Shout out Jeni. Anyway, I try now to do my part to whenever I go walking and I am always surprised by how much trash there is in my relatively nice new neighborhood.

Scavenger Hunt. I used old egg cartons (which I always keep now for future activities). I put different colored paper into each spot and told the girls that we would try to find things in our environment to match each colored paper. I was a little bit worried that we wouldn't be completely successful, but I was dead wrong. We found so many great things. We even found a rock spray painted blue for gas line markers. They had so much fun and were great little explorers.

Some of the things in our environment were natural and some were man made. And although Earth day is fitting to celebrate in the spring Arizona is still flourishing with flowers.


Art / Craft Time
E - Earth. The "land" is a hand print.


Science Time
Animal / Habitat sort. I had the girls sort pictures of animals into four different environments. They had a really difficult time doing this. And Sunshine wanted to argue with me about a couple of animals.

Snack Time
Earth Donut Holes. Once again I had no idea what we were going to do for snack but then I had a moment of inspiration. I used food coloring to make these look like little earths, BTW food coloring stains fingers and mouths.

1 comment:

  1. You were worried about doing E but I think everything you did turned out great. I love it. And great snack!

    ReplyDelete