Tuesday, October 6, 2009

D - Dinosaur Theme Lesson Plan

Rug Time
Calendar
Introduction of theme
Reading Time
A Trip to Dinosaur Time by Michael Foreman - Nothing special
The Three Little Dinosaurs by Larry Brimnar - Like the Three Little Pigs, ok
How Big Where the Dinosaurs by Patrick O'Brien - Names & Pictures of different dinos
Oh My, Oh My, Oh Dinosaurs by Sandra Boynton - Our Favorite, Good opposite book
Outside / Manipulation/Sensory Activity
Searching for and uncovering dino bones - I really wish that I had a sand table for this and real bones for that matter but it was a quick and fun activity. The girls really did a good job being careful using their paint brushes to clean off the paper bones.

After the bones were found we tried to put together like a puzzle. Cera was pretty excited to find that all the bones made a "longneck" dinosaur.

Then we colored the bones. The activity on line says to glue dry pasta onto the skeleton to make it look like bones. I thought that was a great idea but that it would take a long time and the girls would get bored. Maybe that would work for well for older kids.

I actually put the pieces together using little scrapbooking brads so that the pieces move. Pretty cool. I used this black paper only for the picture. It isn't glued on or anything.

Math Time
We did this stamping activity found here. Basically you role the die and then stamp out that many dino squares. This worked ok, but really it was just do give me some time to get our fossil stuff together.

Science Time
Make your own fossils. There are several ways to make your own fossil some cooler than others. The simplest way is to use plaster of paris. It dries fast and there is really only two ingredients. We went outside to collect leaves and then we used some plastic dinos for footprints.


Arts / Craft Time
D - Dino. I think that it turned out great.
Then we did a simple little necklace with dino card beads.


Snack Time
Rice Crispy Treat Dinos. These were fun. I always forget about planning the snack until the very last minute. Thank goodness I always have stuff on hand. Thanks Blair for the cookie cutters.

No comments:

Post a Comment